Clarington Fire & Emergency Services responded to two early morning fires just minutes apart from each other.

The first call was around 1:15 am this morning for a working garage fire in Bowmanville on Hetherington Dr and was under control very quickly with minor damage.

The second was less than 10 minutes when fire crews got a second call for a working fire in Kendal on Old Mill St where a backyard deck caught fire.

Responding crews did a great job at both fires getting the blazes under control quickly. Clarington Fire & Emergency Services fire Chief Gord Weir says both fires may have been caused by improper disposal of cigarettes and, he’s also reminding smokers not to use flower pots to put out cigarettes.